Monday, November 16, 2009

Bow Wow


Over the weekend, Chocolate Elvis met with the Emperor of Japan. In typical Japanese tradition, the ‘Bamer bowed during the greeting. Wanna know what happened next? The lunatic fringe skidmarked their collective Underoos. Don’t believe me? This from tighty-righty Bill (no not that Bill) Kristol:


“I don't know why President Obama thought that was appropriate. Maybe he thought it would play well in Japan. But it's not appropriate for an American president to bow to a foreign one." He added that the gesture bespoke a United States that has become weak under Obama. "I'll bet if you look at pictures of world leaders over 20 years meeting the emperor in Japan, they don't bow," Kristol said.


O.K. Bill...I’ll give you that one but I do have a question. Was Chimp-Dick sucking face and holding hands with the Saudi King O.K. with you? What about when the Bush-Wipe appeared with the leader of Vietnam, our sworn enemy? SHEESH! Here’s the crux of today’s biscuit


No matter what President Barack Hussein Obama does, the tighty-righties are gonna hate it. If Obama wanted a sandwich for lunch, the Republicans would want to rename peanut butter "Freedom Butter.” True dat. No worries, though. The right-wing nut cases are throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks. But the way they’re behaving as the “Party of No," everything that sticks is on their faces.


@:
:@

5 comments:

David Allen said...

I thought you liberal multi-culti types were supposed to be so well versed with the nuances of foreign cultures... Not that I don't enjoy Obama make a complete ass of himself on the World stage. Which makes me think that Barack Hussein Obama MUST have been born in Kenya and raised as a citizen of Indonesia, because even those in this country who's knowledge of Japanese culture only spans the first two Karate Kid movies understands that Obama's Bow was inappropriate. "Always look eye, Daniel-san."

Those of us with a bit more exposure to Asian cultures understand that the depth of the bow is tied to your status. Those at the top of the food chain may have a very slight bow - while never breaking eye contact. Bending at the waist and breaking eye contact is the equivalent of groveling.

In much Asia, like Thailand, Westerners (probably even you, PJ) enjoy elevated class status. If I were to bow like that to someone of similar status, my fiancée would hit me upside my head for losing face and embarrassing her. While it may be true Republicans will be highly critical of most everything Obama does, in much the same way, they are letting him know he’s making an ass out of himself, and losing face on behalf of America. Not necessarily a big deal in the context of Japan – but it is a big deal to our enemies who do rightfully see this as a sign of his weakness. This of course isn’t his first time making the mistake of bowing to other world leaders. He did the same to the King of Saudi-Arabia, and then Obama sent his flunkies out to say it never happened. Of course – it did happen – revealing to the world HIS OWN belief that he is NOT an equal with other world leaders – and with THAT – I CAN agree with him on. Our acting president is not a leader, he has no experience governing, and has NO CLUE as to how to help our country or defend it from our enemies. He’s way out of his league.
As for Conservatives opposing everything Obama does – Deal with it! Just returning the favor while Democrats opposed everything they could get away with from Bush. At least we’re not out committing TREASON by undermining our War efforts and our brave men and women in uniform like Pelosi, Reid, Edwards, Kennedy, JFKerry, and Murtha, the NYT, NYP, CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS etc. etc. etc.

pj said...

Dave...
Thanks for reading PTB and, as always, thanks for leaving a comment. I'm glad that having a mail order bride from Thailand makes you so well-versed in Japanese culture. Thanks for the input.

pj

David Allen said...

Nice try - but having worked for 3 years with a small Japanese company in the Bay Area, I learned a quite a bit of Japanese culture and language at the age of 18. I certainly don't claim to be an expert, but it seems I appearantly have a better working knowledge of Japanese culture than our acting president. And while you might order your dates through a website, or meet them in line while waiting for your food stamps - I actually met my fiancee in person while I was visiting Thailand. It's amazing what sorts of things a person can actually learn about the world if they only bother to get a real job and leave Nevada.

pj said...

Yo Dave...
Again...thanks for reading and responding to PTB. You are totally right about me not leaving Nevada...but I'll tell you this...Chocolate JZeus bowing to the Emperor of Japan means little to me.


I'm sorry it means so much to you.

pj

David Allen said...

As I said before - for me it was mostly entertaining seeing him make an ass of himself.